Rules & Regulations
1. Boats may be any shape and size*, but ONLY cardboard and duct-tape are allowed. Prohibited items include (but are not limited to) cloth, wood, markers, plastic, foam, metal, glue, other types of tape, resin, wax, crayon, and paint of any sort. Flags will be allowed if they are suspended using only cardboard and duct tape.
2. The boats will be prefabricated at the member’s location. It will be inspected on the day of the race to ensure that proper guidelines are followed. Any materials other than cardboard and duct tape will result in immediate disqualification. This includes non-duct tape decoration.
3. Paddles can be made out of cardboard and duct tape, but we will have paddles for use on the pool deck for those who wish to use them.
4. There must be between 2 and 4 people on a team, and at least 2 people must be inside the boat during the race. Lunch will be included for each official team member
5. Your team will be able to participate in two events: the Race and the Challenge Round. The race is to record your time, and the challenge round is for “personal redemption”. You may attempt to impede the progress of your fellow sailors during either event as long as you only target the boats, and not the participants themselves. Water guns are allowed in the boats. Spectators or team members outside the boat may not touch the boats while in play.
6. Removal of the boats from the facility is each team’s responsibility. Teams are responsible for dismantling their boats after the race. A designated disposal point will be available.
7. All other Ramstein Aquatic Center Health and Safety Rules apply.
8. Each crew member must sign a liability form prior to the race.
9. Each crew member in the vessel must be wearing a US Coast Guard Approved life vest. Costumes are allowed and encouraged, but a USCG approved life vest must be worn over it - life vest and paddles will be provided by the aquatic center!
10. Have fun!
Awards will be given for:
|Fastest times||1st and 2nd place|
|Spirit Award||Boat, crew, dress, and overall spirit included|
|Last Man Standing||One award will be given each challenge round|
|Davy Jones’ Locker||1st boat to sink|
|The Most Outstanding Design|
* Though any size boat is allowed, please be aware that the walkway at its narrowest point is only seven feet wide, and the entry doors are approximately 8ft x 8ft.