What do you learn in Learn-to-Swim Level 1?
In Level 1, Introduction to Water Skills, your child is introduced to basic skills as the foundation for future skills. Certain milestones are necessary for successful completion of Level 1, including:
- Entering the water independently using the ladder, the steps, or the side
- Traveling at least 5 yards, bobbing 3 times, then safely exiting the water
- Gliding on front supported for at least 2 body lengths
- Rolling to a back float for 3 seconds with support
- Recovering to a vertical position with support
Parents Corner - How can you help?
- Ask the instructor which skills your child should practice, and make practicing fun at home or your local pool!
- Understand that children develop swimming skills at different rates. Remember, many children need to repeat a level multipe times to complete all of the skills.
- Avoid putting pressure on achievement; encourage your child to enjoying swim lessons and take pride in personal success.