What Happens in Parent Child Aquatics Level 1?
Level 1 introduces basic skills to parents and children. Parents learn how to safely work with their child in the water, including how to appropriately support and hold their child in the water and how to prepare and encourage their child to participate fully and try the skills. Children receive an introduction to basic skills that lay a foundation for learning to swim. In addition, parents are introduced to several water safety topics.
- Enter and exit the water safely.
- Feel comfortable in the water.
- Submerge and explore breath control.
- Explore floating on the back and front.
- Change body position in the water.
- Play safely in the water.
Parent’s Corner - How can you help?
- Supervise your child at all times.
- Enjoy the program with your child.
- Be ready to try new skills with your child.
- Help your child develop a healthy respect for water while having fun.
- Do not use bulky diapers. Swim Diapers or pool pants designed especially for swimming are recommended.
- Try to avoid scheduling swim lessons close to meal or nap times.
- Get wet during the week with your child and practice skills.